In order to obtain full equality for all LGBTQ people, action must be taken.
PFLAG’s Strategic Goals
One. Build the capacity of our organization at every level so that we may have all the resources, in the form of information, people and funding, necessary to move forward in our work with the greatest possible effect.
Two. Create a world in which our young people may grow up and be educated with freedom from fear of violence, bullying and other forms of discrimination, regardless of their real or perceived gender identity or sexual orientation or that of their families.
Three. Make our vision and our message accessible to the broadest range of ethnic and cultural communities, ending the isolation of families with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender family members within those communities.
Four. Work toward full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons within their chosen communities of faith.
Five. Create a society in which all LGBT persons may openly and safely pursue the career path of their choice, and may be valued and encouraged to grow to their full potential in the workplace.
Six. Create a society in which all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons may enjoy, in every aspect of their lives, full civil and legal equality and may participate fully in all the rights, privileges and obligations of full citizenship in this country.
PFLAG Dunedin encourages everyone to take an active role in lobbying for LGBTQ equality and civil rights, both locally and on a national level. The following organizations are working toward those goals:
- PFLAG National
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Bisexual Resource Center
- Equality Florida: “Securing equality and justice for Florida’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.”
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network – Empowering youth activists to fight homophobia and transphobia in schools
- GLSEN – Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Educator’s Network
- Lambda Legal: National organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV.
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- OutRight Action International – Fighting to protect and advance the basic rights of LGBTIQ people everywhere as part of the global human rights movement.
- TransAction Florida: Florida’s only statewide transgender equality organization.